Looking to make the switch from traditional makeup brands to non-toxic beauty products? You’re not alone. As awareness of the harmful and potentially dangerous ingredients included in many beauty products grows, more people are looking for a safe alternative. What is a non-toxic beauty product? It’s simply one made without ingredients that are linked to harmful health effects like hormone disruption, skin irritation, and cancer and that are ethically sourced and sustainable.
For years, a common complaint among people looking to make the switch to non-toxic makeup and beauty products was that the clean alternatives didn’t perform as well or last as long as traditional makeup. Many clean products are oil- or water-based and don’t contain the same harsh fillers and preservatives as the traditional brands, so there can be a learning curve as you find what works best for you. With the number of clean beauty brands and non-toxic beauty options growing by the day, you’re bound to find the product that’s right for you, but you’ll still want to use these tricks to make sure your non-toxic makeup looks perfect from morning to night!
- Check your inventory: Before you throw away your favorite mascara, wait! You may be surprised to find that some of your favorite products are already non-toxic. Search online for a clean buying guide that is searchable by product so that you can check on the status of your faves. If all else fails, read the ingredient list and get familiar with toxic ingredients to avoid, like parabens, fragrances, aluminum compounds, ethoxylated agents, formaldehyde, refined petroleum, hydroquinone, talc, triclosan, silica, and oxybenzone.
- Start with samples: There’s nothing worse than buying a full-size product only to find out it doesn’t work for you, right? It’s the worst! As you begin to experiment with non-toxic beauty products, look for brands that offer samples or trial sizes so that you can give their products a try without breaking the bank. This also helps avoid the dreaded foundation mismatch!
- Step up your skincare: It’s great that you’re switching to non-toxic beauty products, but it won’t mean much if you don’t get your skin on the same page. You’ll want to use clean beauty products for your skincare routine, but just as importantly, you’ll want to make sure they’re the right clean beauty products. The right skincare routine will get oily and acne-prone skin under control and will ensure that dry or combination skin is properly moisturized, all of which are critical to making sure your makeup looks great.
- Make sure you really need moisturizer: Traditional beauty products tend to have a drying effect due to the inclusion of ingredients like alcohol that help give you that “matte” look. Clean beauty products and non-toxic makeup often include moisturizers, especially in the foundation, so if you have oily or combination skin, you’ll want to skip the morning moisturizer. Dry skin types may still need to apply moisturizer, so make sure you read the labels to find out if your product includes moisturizer or not.
- Don’t forget to set it: The trick to flawless makeup that lasts all day is setting spray or setting powder, and don’t worry – there are great clean options out there! Setting sprays and powders help wipe out the excess oil that can give you a shiny finish and ensure that your makeup will stay smooth with the perfect matte look all day.
Invest in great tools: No matter how expensive or fancy your makeup is, it’s only as good as the tools you’re using to apply it! To make sure that you’re getting the most out of your non-toxic beauty products, invest in high-quality beauty blenders and makeup brushes that will help ensure that your makeup goes on flawlessly. There are plenty of non-toxic, vegan, cruelty-free options out there that will leave you looking great without breaking the bank!